Reporting directly to the Vice President of Finance, and consistent with the mission of Girls on the Run International, the Accounting Specialist is responsible for accurate financial reporting of the daily business processes for Girls on the Run International and ensuring that applicable laws and regulations are followed by the Organization.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Work with all staff to ensure proper account and classification GL coding
- Maintain accounts payable and vendor files
- Manage vendor tax ID collection & 1099 reporting
- Prepare weekly check run
- Work closely with Operations Coordinator to ensure timely and accurate merchandise invoicing
- Process renewal fee invoices and other invoices as needed
- Process payments and other deposits
- Manage AR aging and communication with delinquent accounts
- Maintain council exemption and resellers’ certificates files for sales tax purposes
- Manage sales tax rate charts and oversee proper application of sales tax to invoices
- Preparation of monthly or quarterly sales and use tax returns for 10+ states
- Reconcile major Statement of Financial Position and Statement of Activities accounts on a monthly basis and prepare associated journal entries
- Preparation of monthly time allocation for payroll related entries
- Perform other functional expense allocation calculations as directed
- Assist with grant reporting, as needed
- Assist with budgeting process
- Assist with preparation for annual financial statement audit and Form 990 completion
- Assist with other federal, state, local reporting requirements
- Assist with maintaining solicitation licenses in 35+ states
- Proactively maintain an organized filing system, both physical and paperless; file invoices, reimbursements, and other financial records
- Assist and provide resources to councils with various financial and compliance questions, as needed
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of policies and procedures associated with the Finance Department
- Serve as a Girls on the Run role model, exhibiting Girls on the Run core values and working to help achieve the mission
- Develop positive relationships with council directors, volunteers, board members, community members and staff.
- Any other duties deemed necessary by Vice President of Finance, President, and/or Board of Directors
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or 4 years accounting experience with preference for nonprofit experience
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP and accounting processes and controls
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
- Self-motivated and detail oriented
This is a part-time position (15-25 hours/week) and is located in the Girls on the Run International office in Charlotte, NC. It is not possible for this position to work remotely.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 14, 2014. Please include Accounting Specialist in the subject line of your email.