The following boardroom resources are intended to support board operations, development and engagement. These resources can be used to assist strategic planning, board operations, board member expectations, board member job descriptions, board recruitment, board member onboarding, board evaluations, council director performance reviews and more!
Documents may be used as templates or guides to support council boards.
- Governance Timeline: This resource outlines the basic functions of a Governance Committee with recommended operations and timelines based on a fiscal year.
- Board Self-Evaluation tool: This resource is a great conversation starter for mid-year and/or annual check-ins with each board member. Consider using the Board Impact Summary as an additional tool to have board members capture their personal contributions based on their role and expectations.
- Board Evaluation tool: This resource can be used a guide and provided to each member annually to capture and understand their overall board experience and feedback.
- Sample By-Laws: This resource can be used a template and or guide. Bylaws are the legally binding rules that outline how the board of a nonprofit will operate. While they are unique to each organization, nonprofit bylaws generally have a similar structure and use.
- Position Descriptions: The following documents outline the overall board member role, each officer position, and committee roles.
- Board Member
- Board Chair
- Vice Chair
- Recruitment: The following resources can be used to assess the current board composition and any gaps, creative and prospective recruitment outlets, interview questions, and onboarding.
- Current board composition competencies: This tool can be used to assess your current board composition.
- Board recruitment matrix: This matrix can be adapted to assist your organization’s recruitment efforts by assessing your current board composition and identifying opportunities to diversify and/or expand your board.
- Board member recruitment strategy: Comprehensive list of creative outlets to recruitment the right board members for your current needs.
- Interview questions: Sample questions that can be adapted to fit your councils needs.
- Onboarding Check List and Board Binder: Supportive onboarding documents to get started!
- Executive Director job description: This job description may be used to recruit the Executive Director role and used as a guide for setting annual Executive Director individual goals and objectives.
- Council Director SMART Goals & Evaluation template: Each staff member, especially the Executive Director, should create (with support from the Board Chair and/or Gov Committee) individual annual goals and objectives that measure success, track progress, identify areas of opportunities, and serves as an accountability and feedback tool.
Top 3 board-related resources
released/updated in 2021