Boardroom Resource Hub
The following resources are intended to support board operations, development and engagement. These resources can be used to assist with strategic planning, board operations, board member expectations, board member job descriptions, board recruitment, board member onboarding, board evaluations, council director performance reviews and more!
All resources and documents on this page can also be found on the Council Portal by clicking here. Note that hyperlinks included within documents on this page link to the Council Portal. Questions about accessing the Council Portal may be directed to email@example.com.
- Governance Timeline: Outlines the basic functions of a Governance Committee with recommended operations and timelines based on a fiscal year.
- Board Self-Evaluation tool: Identifies areas of growth and opportunity for mid-year and/or annual check-ins with board members. Consider also using the Board Impact Summary tool to capture board members’ personal contributions based on their role and expectations.
- Board Evaluation tool: Captures and understands each member’s annual overall board experience and feedback.
- Sample Bylaws: Explains the legally binding rules that outline how the board of a nonprofit will operate. While they are unique to each organization, nonprofit bylaws generally have a similar structure and use.
- Position Descriptions: Outlines the overall board member role, each officer position and committee roles.
- READ FIRST: Steps to creating a diverse board
- Key Considerations to Creating a Diverse Board
- Board Matrix: Assist your council’s recruitment efforts by assessing your current board composition and identifying opportunities to diversify and/or expand your board.
- Recruitment Outlets & Strategy: Enhance your recruitment efforts with this comprehensive list of creative outlets to diversify your board.
- Sample Board Member Marketing Language
- Example Conversation Questions
- Onboarding Check List and Board Binder: Use these supportive onboarding documents to get started.
- Board Interest Form Pinwheel Instructions
Council Director Resources
- Executive Director job description: Use to recruit the executive director role and as a guide for setting annual executive director individual goals and objectives.
- Council Director SMART Goals & Evaluation template: Each staff member, especially the executive director, should create (with support from the Board Chair and/or Gov Committee) individual annual goals and objectives that measure success, track progress, identify areas of opportunities, and serves as an accountability and feedback tool.
- Succession Planning Guide: Successfully managing the departure of a Council Director in tandem with the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of a new executive is a process that typically requires strategic planning. Boards can get ahead of the game by thinking through the desired course of action when a Council Director transition occurs.
Top 3 Board Resources
IDEA Resources & Updates
The IDEA Strategic Planning toolkit assists councils in effectively incorporating the organization’s IDEA Strategic Imperatives into strategic plans. Councils may use the toolkit resources independently or through a cohort structure launching in January 2022.
- READ FIRST: IDEA Strategic Plan Toolkit
- IDEA Checklist
- IDEA Readiness Matrix
- Taking Action on IDEA: A Council Questionnaire
- IDEA Strategic Imperatives
- IDEA Strategic Imperatives Activity
- IDEA Internal SWOT
- IDEA Focus Group Interview Activity
- IDEA Strategic Planning Tool Example
- GOTR New Jersey East Strategic Map
- FY22-23 HQ Strategic Plan
- IDEA Strategic Planning Cohort Syllabus
- Three Strength Through Connectedness (STC) groups will launch in late 2021. These affinity groups are peer-led and provide a space for belonging and action for our organization’s marginally represented groups.
- The Council Leadership Initiative launched and supported 13 pilot councils in implementing inclusive hiring practices to increase diverse staff representation. 36% of staff hired through the pilot identified as BIPOC.
- June board survey insights will inform work on a board recruitment toolkit along with opportunities for board member IDEA collaboration.
- GOTR HQ is partnering with the Mid-Atlantic Equity Consortium (MEAC) on an external IDEA curriculum review. 76 councils provided over 3,6,000 responses from participants, coaches and families. The final results will be shared with councils in December.
- The IDEA Subcommittees are currently reviewing the GOTR HQ Policy manual through an IDEA lens. Work is in place to launch a toolkit and cohort opportunity for councils ready to embed IDEA imperatives into their council’s strategic plan.